Monday, November 12, 2018

Live Like You're Stan & Joan Lee

"Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties and one day
Passed away in his sleep,
And his wife, she stayed for a couple of days... and passed away" 

-The Luckiest, Ben Folds


*

Stan Lee died today... at 94-years-old.

I'll forever remember all the Marvel movies I went to see in the cinemas, anxiously waiting for Stan Lee to appear during his infamous, usually twenty-second or so cameo. He had quite the lengthy career, including a stint writing an article for Writer's Digest (here). I'm sure there are going to be so many articles commemorating his life's work, and I'm excited to read through and see how the media honors a man with such a remarkable career.

However, his career isn't the thing that stands out the most to me. It's his marriage of seventy years, to a woman who passed away not too long ago. This morning when I found out about his passing, his relationship was the first thing that popped into my mind.

He gets to be back with his wife, I thought. And this made me incredibly happy.

Joan Lee passed back in July of 2017. I remember hearing about it and wondering how Stan Lee could keep moving on without his wife, his partner, the perfect woman to him (you can read about her passing and their story here).

When Stan met Joan for the very first time, he knew it was fate -- here was the woman he had been drawing his entire life! He proposed to her during their accidental lunch date (he'd been there to meet with her friend, Betty, but Joan answered the door). They were married a couple of weeks later.

So, today, instead of mourning over the loss of a legend, I am celebrating that this man is somewhere in the beyond, reunited with his perfect person.

We should all be so lucky as to find our perfect person.




1 comment:

Live Like You're Stan & Joan Lee

" Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties and one day Passed away in his sleep, And his wife, she stayed for a ...